September 5, 2010

Staycation

Staycation is when your are on vacation but you stay home. I have been on staycation all week and it's been nice. I got to spend tons of time with my nephews and my Monkey and it made me realize that DH and I are done working crazy overtime and spend more time together. So we need to trim our budget and I need to realixe that it is just money it's not that important, not more important that family time. This fall I am going to give it my all and try to reduce my food bill by $75 making it $425 a month. It is going to be hard since I stress that I give my family a well balanced diet.  I need to review my receipes and see where I can make cheap subsitutes. I already started my making my own chicken stock (I use alot of chicken broth) last week but what else can I do? It's going to take me a few months but I think I can do it. Any tips?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The main thing we have done to cut back on food expenses is to menu plan. We always know exactly what we need so when it comes time to shop we stick to our list (with a bar or chocolate or some cookies thrown in). We don't get many snack foods now, nor do we get juice at this point. I think we've been spending about $75 a week, but that excludes produce as hubby earns a CSA box each week with a delivery job he has. Being intentional about our food has been key for both cost and living a healthier lifestyle.

Of course, if we had access to raw milk we'd likely take the opportunity to spend more there.