September 29, 2010

Monkey Lesson

Once Monkey turned 18 months we started our "lessons" which I do for three reasons 1) its great Monkey and Me bonding time 2) he has a lot of energy so I try to channel it on good stuff 3) he is learning, there is no downside to that. I pick a theme that we will work on for a few weeks which also includes a letter, number, color, and church.  In each theme packet, I make sure there are coloring pages, arts and craft projects, and library books. I also try to schedule some kind of outing like apple picking or visting the chickens at the park.

In September the two theme's were Chickens (Monkey's favorite animal sound), Crosses, and we are still working on Apples. We also introduce the letter "A" and the color red.  I don't expect Monkey to write the letter or even know that apple starts with the letter A all I want is for him to recognized the letter. The most important thing is Monkey is having fun learning, once it stops being fun I put everything away and we go play.

I will post our pictures and the lesson plans at the end of the month :)

2 comments:

brittany said...

i read all these things you do with him and all your meal planning..and i feel like such a bad parent and wife..not that i dont pay attention or do things with Cheye..or donr cook or do wifely (lol is that a word) things..but i dunno..i read your posts and it makes me want to do more..so i guess thats a good thing! i doubt ill get on an actual meal schedule..but im gonna try like hell to at least cook 4 times a week and try to do fun..learning type things with Cheye..i just hope i cant stick with it..im not good with change at first..and then if i slack i get no where..i just gotta push myself..

Amanda said...

If wifely isn't a word, it is now. You have to do what is best for your family. I have low blood sugar problems and in order to stay off of any Rx I need to eat on schedule so dinner is always around 6-6:30 and since I get home at 5 and Monkey is a momma's boy I don't have time to think about what to make or even have a lot of time to cook, that’s where the meal planning helps.

I didn't start Monkey Lesson till he turned 18 months old, for the first year of Monkey's life all we did was read and play, somewhere around 15 months old we started coloring. So you are right on track with Cheye. You’re a great mom, I know bc I can see how happy Cheye is.