September 24, 2010

Meal Planning

I fancy meal planning; I enjoy taking on the challenge of creating 5 well balanced meals a week that is within our budget.  My budget used to be $100 a week and for the next four-five weeks I want to spend only $95.  I know it’s only $5 a week but it does add up to $20 a month!  My dream goal is to spend $75 a week but that will require lots of work and baby steps to get there but I am working on it.  I have been doing meal planning for over a year now; I do it weekly to take advantage of the weekly sales and we make sandwiches during the week for lunch plus I love fresh fruit and salad.  I do use about 3-5 coupons a week, I don’t buy something just because I have a coupon and it’s on sale, I buy it because I need it for that week or the next.  I also do cook one big batch of meatballs, sauce, meatloaf, and soup a month (about 6-7 dinners)

I will be updating my meal plan weekly for any other busy moms out there and a little self discipline to stick to my budget and reach my goal.  I put the total cost of the meal that includes all side and vegetable dishes.  Right now I am happy if a serving cost is less than $2.75 but my dream goal is $2.25-$2 a serving.  

No comments: