February 8, 2011

Real Life and BookClub

Cold Sassy Tree is put on hold for two reasons;
1) None of my libraries have it
2) I have been reading any and all toddler behavior books.  Monkey is going through his “terrible twos”. He started acting up a few months ago; nothing crazy just when we tell him “no” or “stop” he doesn’t listen and continuing the wrong behavior. He doesn’t hurt anyone; the only misbehavior he really has a problem with is throwing.  He doesn’t throw anything when he is upset, he does it for fun and he does break things. So No Throwing inside the House is now a house rule and our only house rule, at the moment. I did remove all balls in the house, thinking Monkey didn’t understand why you can throw a ball and not a car.

What made me start reading behavior books is Sunday for the first time he threw a real tantrum. I will admit I didn’t know what to do, I was in shock. Usually in the past when Monkey got too crazy, over stimulated, and wouldn’t listen, I would put him in his crib for a few minutes with a few books and puzzle. I really wasn’t punishing him, I was just trying to remove him from the problem and calm him down.  It would also give me time to regroup and calm down. We have been using the time-out method for a month but we weren’t using it correctly.  We were talking too much, didn’t have a real timer, and didn’t know what to do when he keeps getting up. It’s a learning process for all 3 of us. I’ve been writing down questions for Monkey’s pediatrician, like what is age-appropriate behaviors for Monkey.  I have been keeping a post-it- note in the books I have been reading and in my prayer corner (that’s where I get most of my good questions).


What are your house rules and how do you enforce them?

No comments: