November 17, 2010

Nativity Lent

It is easy to spend so much time externally fasting (dietary) that we forget how important it is to internally fast though prayer and strengthen our path with Christ.
Christmas lent (Nativity Fast) is similar to Great Lent (Easter Lent) where we keep life simple and less busy so we have time to focus on Christ. It’s a time be humble again, internal true joy, and have patience towards one another. 

I fast not just for Christ but for also the Theotokos (Holy Virgin). I think on how hard it must have been during her pregnancy with the Jewish council and the High Priest who denounced her with shame, as we all know she was proven innocence.  I couldn’t imagine traveling from Nazareth to Bethlehem while being with child or giving a painless birth in such a humble way.

Some people roll their eyes when they see or hear the word “lent” but I look forward to those few weeks where I feel so close to our Savior and can thank our Lord for giving me another chance to prepare to participate in the mystery of our Saviour.

No comments: