November 30, 2010

Laundry Time

I hate to spend my hard earn money on things I really don’t care about and I don’t care about laundry. I wanna share my tricks of the trade with you.  Here is a powder recipe that I use;
1 Bar soap (Fels Naptha) finely grated
1 Cup of Washing Soda
1 Cup of Borax
½ Cup of Baking Soda
Mix Well and store in an airtight container
Use 2 tablespoons per load

Here are some tricks that I use;
1.     When starting the wash, use HOT water for 2 minutes so the powder soap dissolves then switch to warm.
2.     Once the washer fills up with water let the clothes soak overnight, this helps with the stains (My DH is a plumber, I know about stains)
3.     I use the warm/cold setting for most loads expect for my DH nasty work clothes which I use a warm/warm setting (also add a scoop of oxiclean)
4.     I air dry all my clothes overnight then toss in them in the dryer for 10 minutes to soften them up
The Pro’s
1.     Laundry soap cost $15 a year
2.     I work in a office and don’t need a dry cleaner
3.     I rarely iron, once the clothes come out of the dryer, fold nice and tight= no wrinkles
4.     We love wearing cotton and our clothes last years
5.     Saves money on gas, life of the dryer, and clothes
Con’s
1.     From start to finish one load of clothes takes 2-3 nights to do
2.     Yes it does take added time to do the laundry but I save so much money!
p.s. If I only do one full load a night, I don’t fall behind in laundry.

2 comments:

. said...

Thanks for sharing! It looks easy enough!

Crystal said...

:) I'm still trying to find a soap that Anjali won't break out into a rash with! The Fels naptha worked fine until the winter weather hit...now I'm back to dry itchy rash skin..ugh! Which means back to special laundry soap...for her anyway!