August 11, 2011

Monthly Meal Plan continues

I want to me explain how I will create my monthly meal plan, for those who are thinking about giving this crazy idea a try. 

To make this monthly meal plan really work and to save money I have to do some bulk cooking, which I will be doing this Saturday.  So I wrote out next month’s menu and wanted to share with you the process. 

Step 1) I grab an unused monthly planner, then I wrote down my plans and activities in pen. These days will probably going out to dinner, will need a crowd pleaser meal, or something fast.

Step 2) I wrote down what I have in my pantry and freezer. This will include all loss leaders and mangers special I already bought.

Step 3) I googled up what produce is in season, to help my get creative in my meal plan. Which are apples, broccoli, cabbage, leeks, and pears to name a few.  I want to take advantage of the fresh cheap produce when not using a freezer meal.

Step 4) I looked at all my recipes, thought about steps 2&3, and created my monthly meal plan, and what I want to cook ahead and freeze. This will be a very simple bulk cooking, I am only working with three easy meats, chicken breast, ground beef, and pork chops.  I will make two Mexican chicken casseroles, two chicken pot pies, two meatloaves, and three crunchy pork chops. So really I am just making 4 meals, just doubling it.  Going to try to freeze mash potatoes, not sure if it’s going to work but what’s the worst that can happen. Also will make a batch of rice-n-beans and veggie bean casserole, which I will divide up into side dishes. And last but not least brownies and peanut butter cookie dough to be frozen.  I am told frozen brownies are delicious, can’t wait to try one!

Tomorrow I will explain more about my plan to tackle Big Cooking Day

No comments: