August 15, 2011

How did it go?

It went pretty good, it started out slow because the first how or two all you do is prep work, so it’s hard to keep going when it feels like nothing was happening but by the end of the day I had lots of food!
2 ½ Mexican Chicken
2 ½ Chicken Pot Pie
3 Meatloaves
2 Pork Chops
4 ½ Mash Bean potatoes (these came out really good!!)
4 ½ red beans and rice (I over cooked the rice)
4 veggie casserole
1 tray of brownies
50ish peanut butter cookies

What did I learned?
1) to start cooking the beans really early! They took forever and a day to cook!! And to make the pie crust early too!! My kitchen was above 83 degrees with all the burners on plus the oven!! I didn’t even try to make my crust; I know it wouldn’t have come out right. 

2) Throw a whole chicken the night before, for the price I paid for just the chicken broth was sick. 

3) I also wish I took before, during, and after pictures.  I took a few with my phone, but that really doesn’t do it justices.

4) keep my eye out for when bags of beans and rice go on sale.

5) Pull out all cooking supplies and ingredients the night before

6) Have a clean the kitchen the night before!

Let’s get to the real question…how much did I save/spend??
3 tomatoes $2
4 red peppers $2
4 red onions $2
Bag of celery $1
2 Bag of carrots $2
1 Lemon $.50
1 Garlic $.50
Thyme $1
5 pounds bag of potatoes $3

4 pounds of chicken for 5 meals, “manger special” cost $3
1 ½ pounds of Pork Chops $3
3 pounds of ground beef “manger special” $4.80

3 Large cans of chicken broth $7.50
Big bag of rice $4
Big Can of enchilada sauce $2.5
Jar of salsa $1.75

1 pound of butter $3
1 quart of light cream $1.5
Frozen peas $1.5

4 pounds of black beans (I shouldn’t have gotten 4 pounds, I was excited to see a 4 pounds bag) $4
2 pounds of white beans $3
2 pounds of red beans $3
1 pound of pink beans $1.5
Box of brownies Free
Everything else came out of my pantry
Total cost for 10 meals, 13 side dishes, and some sweets…$58 I didn't save as much as I hoped but I totally saved time in the kitchen!

Now I know to keep my eye out for when beans and rice go on sale.  I usually make my own chicken broth, but I haven’t made roasted chicken in awhile.

Well I do it again? You betcha!!  Next cooking day is September 18!

No comments: