July 1, 2011

Spoiler Alert: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This was a great book, I loved all three characters, Aibileen, Minny, and Miss Skeeter.  Aibileen is my favorite character because how she becomes so motivated and scared at the same time.   Minny had me laughing the whole time especially with her revenge. But I was most sympathetic to Miss Skeeter, hoping that she would succeed.  All three characters has such different personalities yet got along for the most part.  The book brings you back to 1960 in Jackson, Mississippi, where the black maids who took care of the household and raised white children but had to use separate bathrooms.  This brings me to the 4th character Miss Hilly, who is an uptight person always impressing everything also the leader/pusher of separate and not equal.  I wonder why the author shared with us that Miss Hilly is actually a good mom, it was really the only nice characteristic she had.  One of my favorite lines is from Minny "It’s something about that word truth. I’ve been trying to tell white women the truth about working for them since I was fourteen years old." I was rolling over laughing.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars!!


Side note, there (dreamworks) is making a movie out, here is what I found in regards to the cast and some picutres

No comments: