September 13, 2011

House Rules?

I need momma help, again.  I know every momma goes through this but how to you enforce your house rules at other people’s house? Or do you just not enforce them? I would like to obey the current house rules (wherever I am) plus ours, is that too much to ask?

These are my current house rules for my 2 ½ year old
1) No throwing anything in the house
2) No hitting, biting, kicking, etc
3) No eating anywhere but the kitchen/dining room

Now you see some of these rules aren’t the same for everybody.  Some parents let their kids eat in the living room or play ball in the house.  What do I do?

Truly,
First time momma looking for advice

2 comments:

Matushka Anna said...

Well, are you talking at grandparents' house or at friends' house? Sometimes the grandparents present more of a problem than friends! I have no problem simply saying that my child X isn't allowed to eat away from the table at home and that it's easier to be consistent with what he/she is familiar with. Coming up with a compromise like eating outside on the deck or something like that may help too. People generally respect parents who enforce the boundaries.

[I have to tell you that on the reader, the text cuts off after the word "eating" so it looks like rule #3 is "No eating"! (c;]

Michelle M. said...

I make my children follow our house rules in our home as well as in others' homes. I also expect visitors to my home to follow our rules. I'm pretty tough ;)