June 13, 2011

My son is an Orthodox child

He kisses everything, he tries to bless himself, he is also learning when to bless himself but let’s take it a step beyond that… my DH step family is Jewish and there is a new baby in the family so we went to temple Sunday to witness the bris.  I came prepared with my bag of tricks, I rearranged his nap for the day, I feed him a heavy meal before hand, and we came a little early so he can warm up to the different crowd of people.  Sadly with all that work I still lost the battle of well behaved son.  I don’t know if I was going to win now that I look back. It said the ceremony was going to start at X but it didn’t start till another 45 minutes later and by then I was all out of tricks.  When it did start it was so quiet and monkey wanted to sign, he didn’t understand why he had to sit till he wanted to move around, talk to everybody around him.  So I finally took him out of the temple (when it felt like it just started) and found a little playground outside where all the other toddlers were at.  The other moms thought I was nuts thinking Monkey would be good for a 20 minute ceremony.  I explained to them that he does pretty well in our church but also explained our services a little (which is why he is pretty well behave in church) but I also shared them my bag of tricks :)

My Bag of Tricks

In my Church Bag
Crayola Mess Free markers (monkey really just like to take the tops off and on because he usually isn’t allowed to have anything beside crayons)

Monkey’s favorite stuff animal

Books and a small photo album

Lace Cards (homemade to fit Monkey’s lesson)

Raisin! I love raisin, they are small, semi healthy, they don’t make a noise when eaten, easy to pick up off the floor, and it takes them a while to pull out of a small box.

The follow below I don’t use in church for one reason or another but I do carry them with me for friend houses, restaurants, any non kid friendly place

Magnetic Face and an Etch a sketch

Small color book, small box of crayons, and stickers

Few tiny small animals and cars

Lollypops (the only time he is allowed to have a lollypop is when I need him quite and happy and boy he is!)

And when times get really tough, I give him a PEN lol

3 comments:

. said...

How precious! I love watching children bless things and venerate. Too cute! Also, love your "bag of tricks", smart idea!

Brittany said...

love the bag of tricks!! i always have crayons and a small notepad in my purse..otherwise i just try to use whats around me..i should try to keep some stuff in the car..

Michelle M. said...

My 21 month old loves to bless everyone and everything. On Sunday, our priest walked past with the censer blessing everything, and our little guy blessed him right back. :)